Tonight, because I am home I was able for the first time in a very long time to go to my old Youth Group for Wednesday nights. That Youth Group has been a blessing to me for years but tonight was especially incredible. This summer they had a new intern there teaching Wednesday nights and most Sunday mornings and on Wednesdays I guess they had been going through some of Francis Chan’s video messages who, as I have mentioned before is one of my favorites. They were going through his “Basics” series which is unfortunately extremely copyrighted and can therefore only be found by buying the DVD which I would really enjoy watching at some point. But in tonight’s video, the conclusion video for the summer he was talking about The Church and fellowship and how we as Christians should always be acting. It was crazy awesome and exactly what I needed I think. Because I took notes the next part of this post is just gonna be some bullets of what he said and I’ll discuss a bit more at the end.
– Do everything in remembrance of Christ, no one has had or ever will have greater love – share it and remember.
– We should remember His body in a group of friends. Break bread and have communion among people we love and know – Not just in a big group at church.
– We need to completely devote ourselves and our lives to Him.
– There is something in all of us that longs for that simpler time of loving Christ. The commitment was harder but the love was simpler, the church didn’t over complicate it. They just loved.
– We have to make a 24/7 commitment to be part of Christ’s mission always.
– Our lives, our everything is about a lifetime of living for Him, being committed to true fellowship, devotion and unity.
– We need to pray for the things He desires.
– Jesus is going to build His church with or without us so we need to decide, do we just keep attending like a “good church goer” or do we actually want to be a part of the growth and building?
– We should be known how the original church was – for being glad and generous and having favor with all people. We need to love. Plain and simple. That doesn’t mean we should excuse sins or let them go but we just need to love the person.
– You will never have genuine, authentic community if you don’t have genuine love.
– We have to be vulnerable and open with people.
– Discipleship is key in community and relationships with the church. It helps the community and church grow in all ways.
– We need to be like the Acts 2:42-47 church always.
Acts 2:42 – 47:
They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles.44 All the believers were together and had everything in common.45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need.46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts,47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.
That’s pretty much it, it was just an incredible night and I got to fellowship and really talk with some people I hadn’t in a while which is always cool but God is just so good. And I was just struck by how much we do need that fellowship, I’ve been blessed to have that in a handful of friends from my floor last year and it was the coolest experience ever and I literally thank God for those people on a daily basis but it’s time for me to step up and be a leader and start being more of a community and living my life in love. As I start this new school year next week in a completely new dorm with new people, I’m really gonna strive to live my life in such a way that everyone knows the love of Christ through me.
God is gonna do some incredible things here, I can tell.